Wednesday, February 27, 2008

rome is in italy

I don't really know how to write about Rome.
I liked it there.
It wasn't quite stepping into a photograph. This because there are a thousand people there all taking photographs of the same stuff. I took a few pictures, but mostly, I just wanted to remember it in my heart. I felt like photographs ruined the experience a little. I am sure that I will regret this decision in the coming years.
It was so great to see Benny and Sabrina. I like seeing old friends. It's one of my favourite things.
We did a handful of the usual things. The colliseum and the the forum and a trevi fountain and the spanish steps. But in the afternoons we lounged in the sunny living room, or in the park. We had gelato two times, drank wine, and sipped espressos.
I had a perfect cappuccino. The kind that they always talked about at JJ and never fully executed. Beautiful.
In north america we treat barista jobs with a bit of chagrin, but I think there is a real art. After all this time wasted in coffee shops, you would have thought I might have learned a thing or two.
It's kind of nice to be back in Berlin...but it's nicer in Rome.
Being in Rome chocked my brain full of stuff to think about.

Here is a sample:
- I am not an artist. I am no longer going to pretend that I am. or was. or will be.
- Children's bookshop. It has taken itself off the back burner, and is dancing around the kitchen in a top hat and spats.
- What to wear and how to wear it...

We have the internet now. I'm on skype. skype me, okay?

As of February 26, I have already been officially invited to two weddings for summer 2008. Bring it on!

1 comment:

Madame Bluestocking said...

I don't think I would take pictures if I went to Rome, either. I can see all the same photos I would want to take on the internet, usually by better photographers with better cameras. But nobody can post what they take home in their heart. And that's the part I really am missing. Maybe I'll just sell all my crappy stuff and go. Not really, because it's Nate's crappy stuff, too. Ho hum.