Thursday, May 29, 2008

things about other things and stuff

Sometimes when you see a man from far away and he's wearing a fanny pack, it looks like he has a speedo over top of his pants. It's like britney spears in that slave video, but kind of funnier.
It's amusing.
Tomorrow we are heading to the woods for a woodland adventure. I have face paints for the occasion.
Tonight is my last night at bernburgerstr. 35. weird.
I am lazy in the packing and cleaning department. I am better at somethings when there is pressure and deadlines. How can I possibly clean when the sun is shining and there's coffee to drink and youtube.com?
I officially have one week left on this european jaunt...providing i get it together enough to catch the planes.
I'm ready for it.
These last few days are fun, and i'm doing that thing where you're all like, this will be the last time i stutter that non-german-german word. or the last time i see this h and m or that h and m. I haven't been here long enough to feel nostalgia, but I am feeling like i'm just starting to get to know people on that friendly level where i wish we had met in january.
on the other hand...
i am happy to be seeing friends and family. i plan on spending a week at my parents house, pestering them to bits, and trying to swim in the ocean by their house.

on monday we had a real adventure. ben too loads of photos, but it doesn't do it justice. we went to this old abandoned sanitarium/hospital/barracks/morgue. i was trying to figure out how to describe it, but it's hard. It was dank and dirty and I'm sure there were loads of ghosts. it was also beautiful and still and mysterious. One of those days you'll always remember and try to talk about, but that won't translate to anything other than really experiencing it.
so i'm not going to try.
i'm not going to tell you where it is either. it's secret.

berlin is so different in the summer.
sometimes it really doesn't feel like a big city at all.

i am excited also to see london for a coupla days. i wanna see primark and the peter pan statue in hyde park. mostly i wanna walk around and see things, and know where i am.
sometimes i forget what a privilege it is to be here.
i can curse german cell phone plans all i want, but what a luxury it is if that's something that i can complain about.
it's kind of amazing when i think about it.

3 comments:

The Chatty Housewife said...

You swim on your side and I'll swim on mine, we'll swim in the ocean together. :)

nicole said...

have an amazing adventure in LOndon and see you later this summer.xox

Amy.E said...

Re: the speedo image. I wish I could email the metal picture burned in my brain from earlier this week. I saw a man, an older gentleman, burning weeds in his back yard, leaning on his shovel, wearing nothing but a speedo and clogs. He was very relaxed and nonchalant, hiding out in his back yard out of sight...except to anyone driving by on the freeway overpass with a clear shot into his (not so private after all) back yard.